High Performance All-Rounder
The 4th generation model of Canon’s best-selling full-frame EOS camera EOS 5D Mark IV comes equipped with 30.4-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor and highly sought-after Dual Pixel CMOS AF. High-speed, high-precision AF is realized not only for stills, but also for 4K movie shooting, making pro-level footage a possibility.
Canon Log is also made available for users who are looking to shoot serious video footage. With this firmware upgrade, the dynamic range increases up to 800 percent, providing approximately 12 stops of dynamic range, even in low light.
- 30.4MP Full-frame CMOS Sensor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- 4K Movie Shooting (25 / 30p) with 4K Frame Grab
- Canon Log Capability
- DCI 4K 30/24p video using Motion JPEG + 4K Frame Grab
- 61-point AF system with 41 cross-type sensors (center point sensitive to -3 EV)
- Dual Pixel AF (sensitive to -4EV) for continuous Servo AF in stills (first for a full-frame Canon camera) and video
- ISO 100-32000 (expandable to 102400)
- 7 fps continuous shooting
- Dual Pixel Raw (image microadjustment, bokeh shift, ghosting reduction)
- 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
- 1.62M-dot 3.2″ full-time touchscreen
- Wi-Fi w/ NFC + GPS
- Built-in bulb timer interval timers
- Improved weather-sealing
*Note: the firmware upgrade is a payable upgrade that requires the camera to be send in to Canon authorised service centres. It will be available in July 2017.
30.4MP full-frame CMOS sensor with 61-point reticular AFEOS 5D Mark IV
The EOS 5D Mark IV is equipped with a full-frame CMOS sensor boasting of a 30.4-megapixel image resolution, ensuring detailed depictions and beautiful tones that will satisfy pro photographers, particularly in landscape and wedding photography. Of all 61-points, all are f/8-sensitive, and 41 points are capable of cross-type AF. Large Zone AF complements the subject tracking powers of EOS iTR AF. The resulting highly precise AF works with all lens types, ranging from large aperture lenses to super telephotos attached to teleconverters, to produce sharp and crisp photographs.
* The number of active AF points and cross-type points varies depending on the lens that is used.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF & 4K Movie ShootingEOS 5D Mark IV
Dual Pixel CMOS AF realizes precise, speedy Live View shooting AF comparable to viewfinder shooting AF, reliably assisting 4K movie shooting where focusing precision is paramount. Individual frames can be extracted from this footage with the 4K Frame Grab function, making possible the documentation of fleeting scenes beyond what continuous shooting can capture*. The camera also supports touch screen operation of AF points for enhanced accuracy, as well as recording in Dual Pixel RAW (DPRAW) format, which contains information about subject depth to aid precise microadjustment of captured images for enhanced sharpness and resolution.
*Saving a still image from a single movie frame does not result in the same image quality as a normal still image.
Canon Log EOS 5D Mark IV
This firmware upgrade for EOS 5D Mark IV features a log gamma setting that maximizes dynamic range and provides a wide exposure latitude. Canon Log makes it perfect to shoot in tricky lighting conditions where there are high contrasts between bright and dark areas, as it reduces the chance of important details missed out by over / under-exposure.
The files produced using Canon Log are ideal for post-production processes where corrections, colour matching and grading are applied and provides users with a high level of creative freedom without substantially degrading the image quality. This great added feature will certainly satisfy the photographers/videographers who were looking around for extra video capability.
New features over the EOS 5D Mark III are:
- DCI 4K (4096×2160) with up to 30 fps (29.97 fps) up to 29′59″, with crop 1.74× (compared to full frame).
- Full HD video (1080p) up to 60 fps, HD (720p) up to 120 fps
- Continuous shooting rate of up to 7.0 frames per second with full autofocus; 4.3 fps in live view with Servo AF by Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- All AF points support to a maximum aperture of f/8 with EV −3, 61 points high density reticular AF II system including 41 cross-type points, AF area expanded vertically.
- Continuous red illumination of all AF points
- Intelligent Viewfinder II
- Inherited AI Servo AF III with EOS iTR AF from EOS 7D Mark II and EOS-1D X Mark II
- Built-in GPS used for geotag information and syncing to UTC time: compatible with three satellite navigation systems including GLONASS (Russia), GPS (USA), Michibiki (Japan)
- Standard ISO range expanded from 100–25600 at Mark III to 100–32000.
- Anti-flicker feature (introduced with the EOS 7D Mark II and EOS-1D X Mark II) – camera can be set to adjust the moment of exposure to compensate for flickering electric lighting
- A touchscreen LCD, which allows videographers to select the camera’s AF point before and during video recording.
- New button under joystick and beneath Quick control dial.
- Wi-Fi/NFC for wireless file transfer (with wireless transmitter)
- Mirror Vibration Control System
- “Fine Detail” picture style
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Dual Pixel RAW: for bokeh shift, image microadjustments, ghost and flare reduction
- Digital lens optimizer for JPEG shooting, inherited from the EOS-1D X Mark II
- Time-lapse movie features
- 900 shot battery life (approx)
- Approx. 100% viewfinder coverage
Flexible recording options
The EOS 5D Mark IV offers SD and CF card slots accepting fast UDMA 7 cards with a write speed of up to 167MB per second.
Use the EOS 5D Mark IV’s built-in Wi-Fi and NFC to connect to your smartphone, tablet or laptop, or directly to selected image-sharing services. Ideal for sending images to clients and posting to social media platforms. FTP/FTPS support is great for those shooting in Wi-Fi equipped venues when added security is required.
Crop and resize
A crop and resize function in playback in the EOS 5D Mark IV allows users to rework the composition after shooting, easily resizing images for immediate sharing via the in-built Wi-Fi. Just as in the EOS-1D X Mark II, photographers can crop images as they would like to see published and quickly send to editors and picture desks.
Designed to perform in every situation, the EOS 5D Mark IV is beautifully engineered and a thoroughly accomplished all-rounder.